My life has been one ongoing learning journey focused on education, starting from my childhood basement classroom to the present day. Now, as an independent consultant, I would love to help you enhance instructional experiences for your students and staff.
As a young child, I had a favorite saying, “Every day, the thing to do is learn a little something new.” In all the years since uttering that youthful sentiment, I find I still adhere to it as much now as I did then. But at my current level of maturity and experience, I’d revise my words to something even simpler, “Being an effective educator means continuous learning.” The exciting and boundless truth is that learning is academic and humanitarian, personal and public.
I started my career in education as a classroom teacher. I spent 18 years with 4th and 5th graders. Each day brought new learning and opportunities to reflect and grow as an educator. My passions included teaching readers and writers through a workshop approach, integrating technology, and collaborating with educators near and far. One of my greatest joys today is connecting with former students.
My classroom teaching career led to a career as a school improvement consultant in literacy and ESL. This path later led to serving as an instructional coach at the elementary and middle school level. The field of instructional coaching took me back to my passion for facilitating learning for both students and adults.
I have been blessed to have so many mentors and coaches throughout my educational journey. Now it is my time to honor them by partnering with YOU.
My most current work includes:
- Co-Author of The Coach Approach to School Leadership: Leading Teachers to Higher Levels of Effectiveness. (ASCD, 2017). Authors: Jessica Johnson, Shira Leibowitz, and Kathy Perret.
- Co-Author of Compassionate Coaching: How to Help Educators Navigate Barriers to Professional Growth. (ASCD, June 2021). Authors: Kathy Perret and Kenny McKee.
- Virtual Coach for Instructional Coaches and School Leaders.
- Virtual and Onsite Instructional Coach Trainer.
- Co-Founder and Co-Moderator of #educoach – a Twitter chat devoted to the topic of instructional coaching. We chat every Wednesday at 8 pm CST.
- Virtual Instructional Coach for Sibme.
- Guest Blogger for a variety of websites.
Let’s work together:
I am available for keynote, conference sessions, ongoing site-based training, and virtual coaching and training opportunities. I can customize topics to fit your specific needs. Contact me, and we can get fine-tune the particulars. Topics include, but not limited to:
- Leading Teachers to Higher Levels of Effectiveness with a Coaching Hat
- Compassionate Coaching: Navigating Barriers to Professional Growth
- Guiding Instructional Coaches to SHINE
- Introduction to Instructional Coaching
- Digging Deeper with Instructional Coaching
- 1:1 or small group Virtual Coaching Sessions
- Leadership Team Development
- Adult Learning and Facilitation Skills
- And I can customize many other topics